Saturday 14 July 2012

Somehow, at the Sydney Quilt and Patchwork Show, we were re-introduced to the Mrs Billings' Coverlet, (Somerset Patchwork). Simultaneously we felt a sting and goose bumps up our spines .... the Pox had struck again, big time!
As TT's, we were as Siamese Twins, and had to undertake this challenge together to come full circle in our lives.
A little note here, we both were influenced by our textiles teachers, Mrs Gibson and Mrs O'Neil at Fintona Girls' School in the early 70's. We are OCD in this regard and our teachers would be amazed at our sewing precision now!
I have just spent the past week with my sewing TT and together we have discussed, challenged, researched and explored the colour palettes and expressions, moods and impact of borders and fabric design. Also we have been exploring the techniques and methods to create the most accurate sewing method for this coverlet. As TT's, we decided the instructions and directions with the pattern were lacking and the unusual sized measurements made it very difficult to foundation or paper piece if you so desired. this led us to make our own paper pieces for sections of the coverlet!!!
I was adamant and declared to my TT, I am not going to hand sew any quilts, if I can't machine stitch, I'm not doing it!! Well, that went out the door and I am hooked.
My TT gave me a Jelly Roll in November 2011, "just have a play" she said. She knew what she was doing and left smiling with herself. Seven months later, I have many BOM commitments and finished 7 quilts!
I am so looking forward to sharing and getting feed back from my TT as we work on our Mrs Billings' Coverlet together. Both of us approach the project with very different colour palettes in mind!
I promise I will update pictures tomorrow!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment